The climb to the Haldi follows a constantly rising forest road that is mostly in the shade. Figstuel offers the first chance to savour mesmerising views extending as far as Lake Uri. The route continues past lush flowering meadows to the Oberfeld, at 1446 m highest point of the tour. Surrounded by mountains, you might like a short breather before tackling the attractive single trail via Billenwald. The trail takes you through meadowland and past the Billentrog, where you can have a sip of water and enjoy the tranquillity for a moment. At the Schwandiberg, you might like to make a 3 km detour to the Schilt vantage point. The ascent is demanding, but you are rewarded with an amazing view of the entire Uri valley. You have surely earned yourself a dish of traditional Älplermagronen. This alpine pasta dish with potatoes, cheese, onions and apple sauce is a speciality of the Restaurant Alpenrösli adjacent to the Haldi Chapel, which is reminiscent of a Norwegian stave church. The excursion ends with a thrilling descent through a magnificent deciduous wood on the old lane to Schattdorf.
The tour is waymarked no. 413 throughout.
Getting thereVon der Autobahn A2 und von der Axenstrasse her kommend in Richtung Altdorf fahren, anschliessend Abzweiger zum Bahnhof nehmen.
ParkingKostenpflichtiger Parkplatz am Bahnhof Altdorf.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.