After a short ascent to reach the historic Gotthard mule path bordered by handsome dry stone walls and piles of stones cleared from the pastures, you head for Meitschligen via Vorder Ried and Hinter Ried. The route follows the gently rising mountain road to the village of Gurtnellen, where two restaurants offer an opportunity for a break. The going now gets steeper and you pass through some fascinating country featuring species-rich dry grasslands and rare varieties of orchid to reach Heissigegg. Here you are rewarded with great views of the upper Reuss valley. You continue via a delightful forest road to picturesque Lake Arni with its picnic and barbecue spots as well as restaurants – just right for a lunch break. If you want to go around the lake, however, you can only do so on foot. The descent on the somewhat steep, rough alpine trail tests both brakes and suspension, but is sure to quicken the pulse of every MTB devotee. You arrive at the hamlet of Intschi in a rather shaken state before transferring to the smooth cantonal road and returning to Amsteg.
The tour is waymarked no. 407 throughout.
Uri Tourismus AG
Phone +41 (0)41 874 80 00
Fax +41 (0)41 874 80 01
Andermatt-Urserntal Tourismus GmbH
Phone +41 (0)41 888 71 00
Fax +41 (0)41 888 71 01
Getting thereVon der Autobahn A2 Ausfahrt Amsteg nehmen.
Basic Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Mountain Biking
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.